Bruising and Swelling

Nearly every patient experiences . It’s your body’s natural response to surgical trauma. The degree of your bruising and swelling will ultimately depend on your body’s natural healing response. For most patients, bruising and swelling reach their peak within 48 hours of surgery.

Most bruising will subside within 7-10 days, but some mild bruising may continue to linger for up to one month. Usually 80% of postoperative swelling will be gone within three weeks and the remaining 20% will gradually subside over the course of several weeks to months.

Steps You Can Take to Speed up Recovery

There are several steps that you can take to minimize swelling and bruising during your recovery that will be discussed during the consultation process.

Quit Smoking –Cigarette smoke delays healing and can increase your risk of undesirable scars. You are required to quit smoking at least three weeks in advance of your procedure and continue to be smoke-free for an additional three weeks following surgery.

Avoid Certain Medications and Supplements – Anti-inflammatory medications, blood thinners and certain over-the-counter supplements can delay healing and increase your risk of post-surgical bruising. You should provide Dr. Mosser with a detailed list of medications and supplements you’ve taken in the last month to determine if they must be discontinued.

Eat a Low Sodium Diet – A high sodium diet can cause your body to retain water, which can delay healing. A low sodium diet (1500 mg or less per day) in advance of your procedure and in especially the week or two following can minimize post-surgical swelling.

Natural Healing Remedies – Dr. Mosser frequently recommends Arnica Montana and Bromelain to patients. These natural supplements have been used for hundreds of years to reduce bruising, swelling and pain.

Seeing Final Results

It will take time for your breasts to heal and settle into a natural position. For this reason, you shouldn’t even begin to assess their appearance for the first month after surgery. After about three months, you will have a good idea of what the final results will look like. However, your breasts will continue to heal and settle for the next year.

It’s important to remember that every patient is different. For some it may take longer for the skin and tissue to stretch into its final position. Additionally, the larger the implant, the more time it will take for the tissue to stretch.

Permanent Scarring

Scarring is an inevitable result of breast augmentation. The size and location of your scars will depend on the techniques used during your procedure.

  • Periareolar– Incisions run along the circumference of the areola (pigmented area around the nipple).
  • Transaxillary– Incisions are made in the in the armpit, in the natural folds of the skin.
  • Inframammary– Incisions are made near the fold or lower bottom of the chest muscle.

The type of implant you chose can also affect the size of your scars. Because saline implants are typically filled at the time of surgery, they require smaller incisions than pre-filled silicone implants. During your consultation with Dr. Mosser, you will have the chance to view prior patient photos that will give you a better idea of what your scars will look like.

Additional factors such as your skin’s tone and its natural propensity towards scarring will affect your final results. Dr. Mosser will provide you with details on how to minimize scarring during your recovery.